1923 Missions Receipt for the Ellsworth Union Church
In 1948 the Methodist members took over the Congregational congregation's debt and paid off the mortgage. The church was now known as Methodist. Several improvements were made during these post-war years; a new oil burning furnace, platform enlargement, kitchen remodeling, and fluorescent lights installed following the rebuilding of the basement ceiling.
The active youth organization was known at first as the Christian Endeavor, then the Epworth League, and still later as the Methodist Youth Fellowship. The women’s organization was known first as Union Aid Society, later as Women’s Society of Christian Service, and finally as United Methodist Women. The church school was very active and the Methodist Christian Club for younger children was formed in 1955. Vacation Bible School was begun in 1953. Married couples formed The Friendship Society. They furthered several projects in the interest of the church. A Family Fellowship Night was held on the 4th Sunday of each month, with a pot luck supper and a social evening. Later, Family Night was held once a month, with everyone bringing their favorite games and popcorn.
Ellsworth UMC Chancel
The 50 year charter was to expire on June 6, 1953 so the members met on October 31, 1952 and paid the debt to the Congregational Society. They voted to recharter as the Methodist Church.
(You may click to enlarge these photos.)
On November 22, 1955, the crane came to the church and raised the bell.
The church now had a fine bell in the belfry.
A congregational meeting was held in 1957 where it was voted to build a 50 foot addition to the church. Groundbreaking for this ambitious undertaking was on July 8. Much of the labor for that construction was donated. The basement was fitted with a terrazzo floor with a shuffleboard court, modern windows and doors, two furnaces, modern lighting and a well planned kitchen with a stack oven and stainless steel sinks. The women’s group purchased new dishes and flatware. The sound system and carpeting for the platform was also installed at this time. Three class rooms upstairs gave additional space for the growing Sunday School. They had vinyl floor covering and new windows. Vinyl floor covering was also installed in the nave. The Dedication Service was held on September 21, 1958.
next page, page 3